Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sadness and Blessings

Today is a very sad day for me and my family. My grandfather passed away last night around midnight(EST.) He was in his late 80's and living with Alzheimers(early stages). My grandmother, 72, was in constant worry for him, especially when she had to leave him home alone for any length of time. Last week, she asked him to help her carry the groceries into their apartment. They live on the second floor. He was behind her, going up the stairs, when he tripped and fell on the top of his head. He broke his collar bone, 3 ribs, and his brain hemmoraged. They really aren't sure if his brain was already hemmoraging, and hat's what caused his fall...or if the fall caused the hemmorage. We will never know. It's not important anyway. It has been a long week for my grandma and the family who is there. His last days, they just kept him comfortable until he passed.
This is sad, but at the same time, a blessing. My grandma said she hates to see him suffer from the Alzheimers, and she would hate to have to place him in a nursing home...which is where he would have had to go if he survived. I know how much my grandma loves him, but I also believe she will be able to live HER life again, not having to worry so much about him.
Sometimes life can be over, without warning. They were just going about their usual activities...carrying in groceries! He never got to tell her he loves her again. He never got to hear those words from her again either. This is why I think it is SO important to tell the people you love as often as possible that you love them. You never know when you might not have the chance again. Take the time to let them know how you feel before it's too late.

No comments: