Friday, March 23, 2012

Don't Forget To Eat!

I know, I know....it's hard to fathom that some people forget to eat, but believe it or not it happens.  It's a common problem too.  I have heard the complaint from people that they are eating right and working out but cannot lean out or lose weight.  When I ask what they're eating, how often, etc, they say they actually forget to eat and can go an entire day without eating OR they're eating a ridiculously low amount of calories.  Then I ask, how much exercise they are getting, and the list goes on an on....running 4 mi/day 3 days/week, spinning class 3-4 days/week, swimming 2 days/week.  You CANNOT expect your body to function efficiently without sufficient fuel, just as you wouldn't expect your car to run without fuel.  When you do this, your body goes into "starvation" mode and wants to hold onto (store) everything you feed it!  Your metabolism isn't working properly and isn't revved up because there's nothing fueling it!  I just made the suggestion to a person today to stop working out for just a few weeks and focus on eating regularly.  I suggested she set alarms on her watch or phone for each time she needs to eat...every 2-3 hours!  It was like a light bulb went on in her head when she replied that on days she doesn't work out, she doesn't gain weight...makes sense to me!  Remember, under eating can be just as damaging as over eating!  Make sure you're getting enough food to sustain you through your daily regiment, while getting all the nutrients your body needs!  

No comments: