Monday, September 30, 2013

2013 Competition Season Is Over

2013 has been a heck of a year for me to say the least!  Honestly, I should have put competing on the back burner because I had too many irons in the fire at once, so to speak.  I like to be able to focus on and give my 100% to everything I do, and I tried to give 100% to too many things at the same time this year.  There were other things in my life that took a much higher priority than competing, and my attention/focus was there more than it was for competition stuff.  I felt I could have looked better for Jr. Nationals, but I went and planned to kick butt anyway. However, I got sick. I totally half-assed my routine, just trying not to puke my guts out on stage. Oh well.  It happens.  There is always another competition.
     Then it came time for North Americans. I was really excited about doing that show because it's one I hadn't competed at before.    As it got closer and closer to show time, I was stressing out more and more because my body was far from ready.  I think between my body fighting me/rebelling because I had been dieting so long, and other things that took priority in my life, I just was NOT ready.
I debated about going or backing out.  I finally just decided to go for it and JUST DO IT.  I figured I might regret not going, and I might as well just have fun with it.  I did have fun at the show for sure!  I met some awesome people, made some new friends, and got to see my dad!  He flew in from Texas to watch me......another reason I really wanted to be in my best shape ever.  He's my dad; he's proud no matter what.  He thought I looked every bit as good as the rest of the girls though.  
I did F up my routine though. I had planned on having one of my flips in it, and I chickened out at the last second.  I was so mad at myself that I forgot my freakin' routine and had to improvise for a big part of it.  I thought my routine absolutely stunk up the place! My dad only mentioned a few tricks that he knew were supposed to be in there but weren't.  Other than that, he couldn't tell I messed it up, and neither could anyone else apparently.  In fact, one of the judges told me it was the best routine he's ever seen me do!  I thought, "Really?? Then the rest of them must have REALLY sucked!!"  After seeing a video, I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought.  It wasn't as good as it was supposed to be either.  However, I placed 5th, which means I remain qualified to continue competing on the national level for another year. Whew!  At least I won't have to bother doing an extra show next year just to qualify again.  That's one burden off my shoulder!!  
When it was all said and done, I am happy that I went and competed, even though I knew I was far from being my best.  I still had fun, and it was a great experience.  Do I ever want to go on stage feeling like a fatty ever again??  Hecka NO, but I don't regret being there.  I plan on competing there again next year. I have to say it was probably the best run show I've ever competed in!

No comments: